Friday, October 8, 2010

Coaching for the Brooch

Thanks to a comment from a friend and follower of this blog, I'm going to be focusing on brooches for this post. She was wondering whether or not wearing brooches was still stylish and if so, wanted ideas on how to wear it. Brooches have been around for centuries, and so I would deem it a classic piece and definitely safe to say that it's still stylish for that reason alone. However, wearing a brooch today doesn't have to evoke strictly vintage qualities. There are so many different styles of brooches to choose from, and what's more, there are more ways in which to wear them than ever before.  They truly are a beautiful and versatile accessory.

Here are a few ways to wear the brooch that I've thought of and found: 
  • There's of course the classic way of wearing it pinned by the shoulder. To play it safe, my personal recommendation is to where it with a sheath dress (or any other similar style). This is because the cut of the dress (or top) is typically more basic looking and so you have better chances of pulling it off as a nice accent rather than running into the dilemma of your outfit looking too busy. Also, the fabric is generally better at holding its own so you don't end up with the brooch drooping off of you.
  • Also a time-old classic, but wearing a brooch on the lapel of a jacket can be stunning. This is a pretty risk-free feminine touch.
  • Try pinning a brooch to the loose knot of your scarf. The two have potential to work really well together and can create a pretty focal point- just be careful you don't choose an overwhelming combination.
  • If you have a dress with a definite waistline, even a high waist skirt, or perhaps a gathering at the bust of a dress- you can enhance these features with the brooch as well. Also, a bow is just begging for a brooch to sit at its center. With the right dress, adding the brooch can make you look red-carpet-ready for your classy evening out. 
If your brooch just doesn't seem to work on any of your clothes, but is too cute to ignore- no problem!
  • Your brooch can be transformed into a pendant for a necklace!
  • If you're feeling extra crafty, the brooch can be added to a headband or made into a barrette for your hair!
  • It can also be made to fasten to your purse, giving it a decadent little detail. You could try this on either the base of one of your purse's handles, on a pocket etc.
Once again, I've finished writing another post for this blog and feel like I need to go shopping so I can find the perfect brooches to incorporate into my wardrobe. 
Any thoughts on how you like to wear brooches? Any favorite styles? 
Also, if you have anything in particular you'd like me to write a post on, let me know- happy to do it!

4 comments:

  1. You're awesome, Aubrey! Thanks! I really loved what you had to say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good!! Glad you liked it. I'm REALLY glad you asked me about brooches. Because until I started thinking a lot about them for this post, I didn't realize how awesome they are. Now I'm WAY excited to go find some! Thanks so much for the idea! Keep them coming k ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i got a brooch for my bridal bouquet... i didn't think i'd use it again. but i think i will now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the pictures- your brooch is beautiful! Definitely keep using it ;)

    ReplyDelete