Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Don't forget your Hat!

I've been looking forward to this post ever since I first began planning for my fashion blog! For me, it represents a revolutionary discovery because I used to only wear baseball cap when feeling "sporty" or a beanie when skiing.
In the past I would merely admire a cute hat, but wouldn't go through with actually buying it. I figured it would up collecting dust in my closet given my track record. This is definitely no longer the case. It started off with finding- and actually buying- a couple of really amazing hats while on vacation. I bought them "just for fun" but now after experiencing the many, many practical benefits, I consider them a staple for every woman's wardrobe.

The big features vary based on the style of the hat, but here are some tips and tricks for finding that perfect hat:

  • I know this goes without saying, but I'll just include it anyway, pick a hat with some serious style. It's got to be fun! While you want one that is suited to your individual style, don't be afraid to go for something different and push yourselves here a bit. You can do it, trust me. :) The hat has a way of making a bold statement unlike any other accessory. 
  • Now this of course depends on the type of hat, but I try and get mine just big enough so that they aren't too snug to my head. I don't want hat hair, and I want to wear a hat that gives me the option to take it off later if I would like.
  • Next, if you bought a hat with a little breathing room, you can tuck those lovely, loose curls up under the hat in order to save your hair from getting totally wind blown. You did your hair for a reason, and there's no sense letting it go to waste. So feel free to bike down that hill nice and fast, go ahead and keep the convertible top down, and there's no longer a need to fret if it get's windy while walking around.
  • You don't always need the umbrella. As long as you won't be experiencing extended periods of torrential rain, your hat can be the perfect protection from rainfall. Easy on and easy off- once again the hair is saved. Just the other day I was in a hurry to leave my apartment for class and it began to rain. My only means of transportation was biking down the long hill to campus. Choosing the umbrella under these circumstances would have been totally ridiculous- just picture it! And a hood would have just blown right off. I was extra grateful for my hat that day. 
  • Your hat can easily work for you on the flip side of the hair issue. Rather than protecting the hair you just finished doing, it can hide the hair you didn't feel like doing. Just pin and tie it up loosely under your hat- maybe style a few strands around your face and voila! You leave the house looking oh so stylish, and it's thanks to your hat and not your hair. 

I don't know about you, but I've been converted. Wearing a hat makes so much sense to me now! For whatever reason I spent my life never wearing a hat more often than once in a blue moon- no matter how stylish of a hat I came across. I had to experience the practical side to realize I am totally in love with wearing pretty hats. I'm now slowly building my collection.
I bought one of my favorite hats in a Hat Shop in Portland called "Goorin Bros." LOVED their little store! Check out: http://www.goorin.com        
Luckily you can shop online, because they only have shop(s) in: Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Denver.
Don't be shy...share with the class...what's your favorite style of hat? :)

3 comments:

  1. you know, right now i only wear a hat if its snowing. i havent really looked for one that looks good... because all the ones i happen to try on look dumb - to me. i'd like to see you post some pictures of YOU in your hats. with the different hair styles you described :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post! I always browse by the hats and hope to find one that doesn't make my head look two sizes bigger. With winter coming up I am hoping to set aside my fears and try wearing some cute, stylish hats because lets face it we all get lazy sometimes lol. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought about posting pictures of myself on the blog, but maybe I will...good idea. And if not here then at least on my facebook. Glad you like the tips. And trust me, you'd look super cute with a hat, just gotta dive into it.

    ReplyDelete